Monday, April 20, 2015

Fear of the Dark – Chapter 1.4 - The Escape

Sometimes it is hard to make a graceful exit, and other times it is downright impossible. Now aside from it being less than graceful Timmy’s exit was rather abrupt. Gina’s mother had decided on just what little she actually heard that Timmy was NOT going to be around her daughter any longer. Gina stayed silent, and Timmy assumed that more than anything else she probably wanted time to deal with the messages she had written already before she attempted to start explaining anything to her mother. For his own part Timmy was pretty shocked at what he had read. Actually we are back on the subject of understatement that comes up quite a bit here, but Timmy was shocked enough to not want anything to do with that book until he was alone. This included the unusually long cab ride back to the rectory.

Walking back into the rectory he started to have different feelings on the matter. He did have an impartial observer who could probably assist him in these things, who might even be just as curious as himself on the matter. Of course he didn’t appear to be here as well, so Timmy cracked open the book once more and started to read it aloud, as old habits are a lot harder to break than one would think. “It was officially the last day I would ever be known as Reverend Timothy Mahoney, “and he paused only to get the shudder out of his system, “and the first day of what would become the insane battle for control of my own mind, as death took me and left me inside the boundaries of the city. As I write this I still don’t know what created me, or what great disaster had befallen me to allow God to forsake me as this, but I know the horrors of how to create evil. God bless our children for they know not what they do, and when I awoke from death, I was curled up in a dumpster, most likely thrown there by whomever it was that took my worldly possessions. Again, I know that what had transformed me into the monster that scrawls this horrific confession was NOT on the island. It never could have made it here and some fluke chance had brought me here before my death. I also know that without careful planning, I could infest this plague upon the island that had once been safe from creatures such as I.”

The voice startled Timmy as it chirped out on the way into the rectory, “Well I see you found another monster book to occupy your time. I was worried you would start reading some of God’s words and overburden your cluttered head,” and with a small chuckle Reverend Peterson sat down at his own desk holding half a bagel with cream cheese that he was working on. “I should have been born a Hebrew, I just can’t get enough of these things and pork makes me sick to my stomach,” he added as an afterthought.

“Would you mind if I read some of this to you, it has me a bit perplexed. It was left behind for me by the other God after he attacked the sicko last night?” Timmy asked a bit tenuously. After a brief nod, he started again from the beginning and read as far as to the point Reverend Peterson strolled in.
“Are you looking for some sort of confirmation that you aren’t the creature that wrote that book?” he asked with a funny look on his face after Timmy put the book down and looked at him. After a bit of a hesitant nod, Reverend Peterson piped right up, “You were here doing Bingo until eight o’clock last night dummy, and by that time the police were already taking her and her father to the hospital,” and he shook his head a bit, “You’re good with God and all that but the cops are right, stick to your own business if you miss the simple things, and get hung up on the complicated. I’m sure if you were to go through the past eleven years you had hundreds of witness’s eyes on you during almost all of the attacks. They always seem to happen right when night falls and most nights you don’t leave until several hours afterwards.”

Staring directly across the room at him Timmy realized that he did have to be the stupidest person in this room at the very least. The obvious thought was that this monster had come to New York at the same time he did and he felt a strange kinship with it. Of course the creepiness of having the creature pretending to be him was there still as well. “Why do you think he said that he was me?”

“I haven’t got a clue my son, but I can tell just by the first two paragraphs that the thing is extremely intelligent, and probably has a lot more going on in there than to just jump out and say, ‘look at me, I am me’ so you may have to keep reading until you figure out his riddle for you. It makes sense if you think about it. He got your attention more now didn’t he?” and squeezed more of his bagel into his mouth. “I mean seriously, don’t you spend a little too much time in the daylight to have bloody ambitions at night?”

Timmy chirped right up, “Theoretically the sunlight thing has been a recent addition to the mystique of a vampire. Bram Stoker, who basically wrote the original, had pointed out at great length that vampires can walk around during the day, they just lose all of their power and are weaker than the average human during those hours,” and then he looked down at the book as if he were going to scan it for something, just to turn up his eyes and realize that that wouldn’t do it.

“As my father would say, ‘get your head out of your butt kid, you can only see what you already know in there’ and it applies here perfectly. You can run off quotes from Bram Stoker, but you can’t even acknowledge what you did last night. That is so wrong on so many levels,” and then he shoved the last piece of bagel in his mouth.

“You aren’t so dumb for an old man are you?” Timmy asked with a wry smile.
“On the contrary, I am the stupidest old man you may ever meet, but I hide it well by quoting my father and keeping track of the calendar. How about you continue with that book? I don’t have anything scheduled for the afternoon and it appeared to be getting to the good parts,” and then he stood up, “After I get some coffee of course, your voice can be droning to a man who doesn’t use your face to stay awake.”

Timmy started adjusting himself in his own chair as Reverend Peterson walked in carrying the entire coffee maker and two cups. Another thing that makes these two the perfect complement to each other is they both drink their coffee black. Episcopal religion never called drinking coffee a sin as the Catholic Church once had, so score another one for the good guys. A few minutes later he had poured them each a cup, dispensed them and was sitting back down behind his own desk with one foot up. “I’m actually excited that running water isn’t a wives tale because that is one of the things all those stupid movies leaves out of the mix,” he threw out there after picking up the toothpick from his bagel to pick at his fingernails.

“So you think that is why he can’t leave the island?” Timmy asked and then said, “and why the island was protected until he got here, never mind, you’re right. The crucifix was a bit of a kick in the teeth too wasn’t it?”

“Theologically speaking that one is still on the table, because many have believed that the belief in the cross was what gave it power,” he continued to scrape his fingernails as he added, “you could just assume that the cross will harm someone that is evil without the belief that God is guiding it and be well dead before you can even consider your own failings. Perhaps his own belief in God and what appears to be love for him keeps him protected from it as well. Perhaps all of these authors never actually having met a vampire for what would be obvious reasons, doesn’t really know anything and makes it up as they go along,” and with the last bit he smiled.

Timmy again started reading from the book, “I don’t remember all of what happened in my first night back from the dead, I don’t remember being dead, and I don’t remember being killed. I only remember the fever, and the feeling like I was going to die, as I made my way into the city. My mind had been on getting myself someplace where I could rest, and it was as if the second my body had passed over the land of Manhattan I had simply ceased to exist. I remember when my eyes opened, and I remembered the thirst, the awful thirst that has plagued every single one of my days since,” Timmy plaintively looked at the Reverend and then continued, “It was all darkness, and upon opening my eyes, I could not see. I could feel my eyes open and it hurt, but my instincts guided me to the first thing I needed to bring back my sight, the curse of those like me, and it came in the form of a small child,” and with that Timmy gasped but read on, “God bless me father for I know not what I do, as I was every bit the child, perhaps more so, that I took into my arms and drained the life out of,” and Timmy looked at the Reverend and added of his own mind, “This looks like it is going to get a bit rough.”

“He’s explaining things to you, and he is being honest Timmy,” the reverend looked up thoughtfully, “and I have a feeling that it might get pretty horrible in part, but then again it’s been pretty horrible to read about in the papers too.”

Before Timmy could even start back into the book, he added another of his own thoughts to the mix, “There’s just a horrible feeling as I am reading this, because it isn’t just random thoughts from the mind of an author. In all reality this could be the actual events of the greatest serial killer in the history of the world,” and he paused to see the reverend nodding, but at the same time with a sweep of the hand encouraging him to read on. “As the life of the small boy, no more than ten or eleven years old, was being drained from him, he screamed out in horror. My ears were slowly starting to come into their abilities as my eyes were filling with the world with every drop of the child’s blood that flowed into my throat. As I look back on that moment in my new existence, I have gone over all of the scenarios that I had read in the horror books or seen in the movies. Nothing about it was willing, romantic, inspired, or fantastic. It was the sounds of a little boy being murdered, and with every last moment of his life, he struggled, screamed, cried, kicked, and in the end fell limp and dead, like an uncared for doll in the middle of the streets,” and again Timmy gasped.

“Well there’s another plus for good side,” the reverend chirped up, “I never really could stomach all that romanticized, bliss and joy that they play up in all of the Vampire books,” and after gazing at the stunned look on Timmy’s face he went on a bit forcefully, “Timmy my friend, you are so jaded. Murder is murder, and I never particularly liked the fact that all the authors made it seem that evil could give everyone some false sense of love and bliss in being murdered, or converted to the evil side of things,” and then he let out a bit of a chuckle. “Actually I really liked the movie ‘The Lost Boys’ and not just because it was kinda funny, but because when the vampires in that movie went out to murder it looked like a murder. I think a lot of people missed that in all the confusion,” and he motioned Timmy to continue as he sipped his coffee.

Timmy looked towards the book as if it were something dirty, but continued all the same, “I learned almost everything that I needed to know in that very instance. I was less like the human baby that needed a year of training to actually take care of myself in a rudimentary fashion, and was more like the horse that simply jumps up onto its legs moments after being born. This didn’t mean that I knew everything, but I knew the things that were important at the time. The most important being that I wasn’t going to do that again, if I had to find the devil himself and force him to kill me,” and with that Timmy smirked and then continued, “My body was not normal anymore, now that I had eyes in which to see, and simply looking down I could see that my hands were enormous, my arms were the size of tree trunks, and my legs were much larger than that. Technically speaking, if I were still human I would be the largest human in pure mass that had ever lived. I practically jumped twenty yards or so to the nearest car so that I could look at myself in the mirror. It was every bit as hideous as I had assumed with my over sized face and the blood still dripping from my chin. I was a monster, and there was no doubt about that,” and the words trailed out and then died in the air.

Timmy cleared his throat and continued into the book, “The rumors of the vampire’s strength are for the most part true, but I have come to believe that my strength is no different than what my new found size would dictate. I perhaps am about ten times as strong as a human, but at the same time I am about ten times as large as a human. This became evident the moment I decided what I needed to do with my foul incarnation. Without thinking twice about it, I went to the side of the nearest building and tried to climb up it like a spider, as I had read about, or seen in the movies. Don’t believe everything you read, but I did realize that I could use my brute strength to swing from window ledge to window ledge and pull myself up the building. Perhaps my arms have even gotten longer, but my height still stood at about six foot five inches. Imposing as it had always been, but not exactly supernatural in stature,” Timmy stopped for a moment and then said from his own mind, “Gina told me that was what he did after he left the scene.”

“It would serve his purpose to be on top of the buildings, since the sewers are filled with running water,” the reverend then added while tapping his fingers together, and again waved Timmy onward.

“After thrusting myself upon the roof, I found it abandoned. It wasn’t like one of those charming roofs that you see on New York City television shows, with a garden, a patio, or whatnot, this one was simply a tarred roof, that stood about a story taller than the buildings around it. It was exactly what I wanted. It was exactly what I needed. It would be the perfect place for me to lie down and wait for the sun to come and get me.” … To Be Continued